Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Randomness - airport style


Sitting in the Tampa airport - arrived early for my flight back to Nashville.

Airports truly are one of the best places to people-watch, you know. As humans it is difficult to watch people and not form opinions or ideas of the kind of people you think they are. Which is totally wrong - it's judgemental. So I'm going to conduct a small exercise in people watching just using my imagination and hopefully zero judgement.

First of all - have you ever noticed that just about every airport you've ever been to - most of the accents you hear are either northern or foreign. It's rare that I've heard many people say, "the baggage claim is over yunder," or "dangit, y'all my suitcase is too dadblame heavy." Just sayin.......

A man and his approximately nine year old daughter just walked by. So cute. She's hungry - he's helping her find something to eat. I wonder where they are going or where they've been. Perhaps they are returning from a volleyball tournament or some other sports tournament - she's dressed in a little sports jacket. Dad and daughter moments are so sweet.

Whoops - there goes a lady older than me with purple hair. Biting lip - biting lip - lip bleeding - no judgement.

Why is it that seats at the airport gate are so uncomfortable? And you know, now that I think about it - I don't ever remember seeing anyone wipe them down or clean them in any airport I've ever been in. Ick big time.

Two pilots walking by. Wouldn't it be funny for a pilot to walk by in dark glasses with a seeing-eye dog. I wonder how many people would do a double take.

How many people walked barefoot on the carpet through the security gate that I just walked through while also barefoot? Ick again.

Why is that little kids and older people are the only people who get to ride around on strollers or carts? Why can't a 46 year old woman get a stroller ride every once in a while. I think it would kind of be like a bubble bath or a massage - a nice treat now and again.

I wonder if I have ever seen any of these people before or ever will again? Have you ever thought about that? How many people you encounter in your lifetime. It truly is mind-boggling I think.

There is a man walking by with a yellow lei of flowers. Intersting. I bet he had a fun trip!

Oh well - enough obscure observations for one afternoon - off to Starbucks, airport-style.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Maybe you just don't notice the Southern accents because you are so used to hearing them. I probably notice them more than you do, but I'm probably more immune to the Northern ones.

C said...

While I am a big fan of airport people-watching, I must say that being cooped up in this nasty Vegas casino all week has provided MANY opportunities for such observation, and they are mostly not pretty ...