Wednesday, July 8, 2009


I have always bristled when I hear the quote attributed to Hilary Clinton, "It takes a village to raise a child." I resist the basic tenent of that statement because it really doesn't take a village to raise a child. (and also because proper grammar would say, "rear a child" but I digress) Anyway, it seems that this statement shifts the responsibility for bringing up a child from his or her parents, to society at large. And therein, in my humble blogging opinion, is one of the primary causes of societal decline. Parents (those who remain married to one another, those who don't, those who choose to have a baby alone, all sort of parents) seem increasingly eager to allow various entities to participate in the rearing of their own children. And while this is a deep and wide subject about which I have a plethora of additional opinion (shocking!), it really isn't what I want to discuss today.

I've been reminded of this "takes a village" statement recently because we've been working with children at our church in our VBS. We have been blessed with children from all sorts of socio-economic and cultural backgrounds. They are all precious. And honestly, my first instinct is to look to the children who are coming to us from the inner-city as being more needy than the ones whose parents accompany them to church or whose parents I know personally. And I think this is a mistake on my part.

All children are needy. Children, by definition, are young people who aren't equipped or ready to provide for themselves or protect themselves. So in my preparation this week to work with all of the children, I've asked the Lord to help me say words that help them all feel protected and loved - regardless of their backgrounds, their home life, or their quirky little personalities. I know one thing, regardless of what these children face when they aren't with us at church, I'm grateful that their parents, families, or guardians are entrusting them to our care for a few hours each week and are willing to let them come and be loved with us and learn more about Jesus. What a huge and awesome responsibility that is for my friends and I who are privileged enough to work with these munchkins!

So you know what - I guess that makes me part of the "village" - and I'm glad.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just decided to check the blog out this evening and I love it. You do a super job.